Other Volunteer Roles
There are so many ways to volunteer with Girl Scouts beyond being a
troop leader—and we’re here to help you succeed in whatever role you
take on. Check out volunteer learning workshops and online modules for
Service Unit Manager Workshop: The in-person Service Unit
Manager Workshop (link coming soon!) will teach you the ins and outs
of leading a Girl Scout service unit.
- Getting Started Modules: Complete these Getting Started modules—Introduction, Girl Scout Program, and Volunteer Essentials and Safety Activity Check Points.
- Day Trip Planning: If you’re going on a field trip away from your meeting site for four or more hours, you'll need to complete the online Day Trip Planning Workshop.
- Basic Overnights: Completion of this Online Learning Module is required before taking Outdoor Overnight in person sta0-rting in the Fall of 2016.
- Outdoor Overnight: To sleep outdoors and take a trip for two nights or less, attend an in-person Outdoor Overnight Workshop. For those volunteers with extensive outdoor experience in the Pacific Northwest as well as significant outdoor leadership experience with children, we provide an equivalency process. You can apply for the equivalency process here.
Outdoor Specialist: Volunteers who aren't troop leaders can
serve as a troop's outdoor specialist and help girls get outside! Here are more details on the training you
need for this role.
- Facilitating Adult Learning: Email us to schedule a short interview. Afterward, we’ll send you a link to register for the Facilitating Adult Learning workshop.
Coach Preparation Workshop: The in-person Volunteer Coach
Workshop will teach you coaching skills, strategies, resources, and
problem solving techniques.
- Take Action Module: What does it actually mean for a Girl Scout to Take Action? Find out by completing the Take Action module.
- Gold Award Orientation: Get an overview of the Gold Award process with the Gold Award Online Orientation.
Highest Award Workshops: Learn the ins and outs of how Girl
Scouts tackle a Highest Award project at the in-person
Gold Award Workshop or the in-person
Silver Award 101 Workshop.
Robotics Coach Interview:
Email us to schedule a short interview. After
that, we'll send you more program-specific learning resources.
Depending on the type of camp you’re managing, you’ll need to take one of the following workshops, which are usually offered once a year. These workshops are required for camp directors, but are also great for the rest of your leadership team:
- In-person Planning Weekend Camps Workshop
- In-person Planning Day and Twilight Camps Workshop
Planning Community Camps Workshop
- First Aid/CPR: You can find a class near you (fire stations, hospital, parks and recreation and colleges often offer courses), check out chapter four in Volunteer Essentials for more information.
Health Supervisor Module: Complete the online Health Supervisor module to learn everything
you need to know about this role.
For Archery Instructor, Small Craft Safety, and Quantity Cooking volunteer positions, we offer in-person certification workshops throughout the year.