Although a group setting is usually recommended, independent learning options are available for several workshops.
Independent learning options allow participants to receive course material and work through the coursework independently, at their convenience. In some cases there will be a follow up webinar to answer questions and check for understanding.
Getting Started Blended Learning - no fee
To complete this workshop you may choose to complete Getting Started by working with an independent home study packet and then participating in a webinar to make sure all your questions are answered. Sign up for this option online.
This course is offered via both independent learning and in a group setting. (Check the calendar
to find group setting courses in your area.) The Independent Learning Packet will come by mail or email and takes more than three hours to complete. Choose from a variety of options:
- Outdoor 1 Independent Learning Packet as a writable PDF - no fee. Choose this option to receive a link to a writable version of the packet in a PDF, you can either complete it electronically and email the completed version back to us, or print it out at home and mail/fax/email the completed packet.
- Outdoor 1 Independent Learning Packet - $10.00. Choose this option if you already have access to the book: Outdoor Education in Girl Scouting. Material will come to you by mail.
- Outdoor 1 Independent Learning Packet Plus - $25.00. Choose this option if you need the book: Outdoor Education in Girl Scouting. The additional fee covers purchase and mailing costs. Material will come to you by mail.
Register: To register online, click the option you prefer above, or download and mail in a completed registration form
to register by mail.
Indoor Overnight - $10.00
Ease into the idea of camping by planning an overnight in an indoor setting, a leader’s living room, a hotel or other situation that does not involve an outdoor setting. If your troop will not be ready for a few more years for an outdoor setting, this is a great first step. Two choices are available.
- Indoor Overnight Independent Learning Packet as a writable PDF - no fee. Choose this option to receive a link to a writable version of the packet in a PDF, you can either complete it electronically and email the completed version, or print it out at home and mail/fax/email the completed packet. (Coming soon)
- Indoor Overnight Independent Packet - $10.00. Taken by independent learning packet, which will come to you by mail.
Pre-requisite: Outdoor 1
Outdoor 2 Equivalency
Have you been camping with your daughter's troop for years as an extra parent and now need to step into the role of the outdoor specialist? Were you a camp counselor and will now be leading a troop on an outdoor adventure? Do you spend six weeks, 24 hours a day, every summer surrounded by other people's children sharing the outdoors with them? Then you would be a perfect candidate to get your Outdoor 2 through the equivalency process.
Register for this option by clicking here
Once you have completed Outdoor 1 (either face-to-face or the independent packet) and have completed the Indoor Overnight Independent Packet, register online to complete the process. Once you have registered you will be contacted by an outdoor coach who will meet with you in person or speak with you over the phone to review your knowledge of outdoor skills and support you with any questions you might have.
Note: this is only available to people who already know their stuff, if you are missing the knowledge base, your coach may recommend that you complete the course the traditional way.